“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” -Raneesh
Adjusting to life after baby can be a struggle for many of us. No matter the advice we get, the books we read, or the classes we take, it seems that no one is every truly prepared for what we face after our babies are born. Whether it is your first child or your fourteenth, the entire pregnancy and postpartum journey is a crazy roller coaster ride of joy, frustration, fear, celebration, pain, strength, feelings of being overwhelmed, and feelings of isolation. Through pregnancy and lactation, our bodies are no longer just ours; we are responsible for growing, nurturing, comforting, and attending to a completely dependent baby. All our plans are up-ended with unexpected NICU stays, milk protein allergies, lip/tongue ties, pelvic floor dysfunction, or an ever fluctuating supply. And we do all of this while trying to recognize our new selves. Our new bodies. Our new reality.
Like many of you, I found myself so uncertain and insecure about my breastfeeding relationship. As a nutrition and fitness professional, even I was confused by the overwhelming amount of contradicting information out there. Would exercise cause my supply to drop? Would breastfeeding alone allow the weight to just fall off? Would I have to choose between weight loss or breastfeeding? If I have some wine, will I harm my baby? My doctor said my baby is low on the growth curve; does that mean my milk isn’t good enough?
I needed a safe place to continue my journey. I knew that I could bring something very needed to the fitness and nutrition world for postpartum moms. That’s how Fitness Forward Nutrition became Fit Forward Mom. From that, Milk Made Macros was born.
My name is Kristina, and I’m a 38 year old wife and mom to three sweet boys ages 5, 3, and 1. I have a B.A. in Psychology from UC Berkeley, and I am also certified in personal training for the general population, personal training for the pre- and post-natal population, group fitness, lactation consulting, postnatal nutrition, nutrition for breastfeeding, and nutrition and weight loss coaching.
My core belief is to be more than just someone who can influence you through impressive social media posts and before/after photos. I want to do more than just motivate you for a fleeting moment. My mission is to:
- Teach you the science and give you the tools to succeed independently.
- Get to know you and your unique needs to help you to be confident as you navigate unexpected situations that are inevitable in life.
- Reassure you that I have your back and am in your corner, while being honest about your capabilities in the face challenges.
- Be your confidant, shoulder to cry on, and biggest fan as you make your way towards your goals. And also be there to pick you up when you stumble.
- Help you to remember that fitness is more than just a number on the scale. You must strive for good sleep hygiene, self care, positive emotions and mental wellness, quality time with your children, reconnecting with your significant other, maintaining a social life, and honoring your body when it is time to rest and recover.
- Support you through your breastfeeding journey in whatever way is both desired and also achievable by both baby and you.
No matter your stage in life, you deserve better than the self-deprecation that comes with being unhappy with your body. Everything your mind says, your body hears. It is time to get off the hamster wheel of chasing fad diets, suffering through 30-day challenges, buying into “secret” weight loss strategies, fearing and demonizing foods, and simply thinking that it has to be hard.
The Milk Made Macros program is the perfect first step to embracing macros while breastfeeding. It will offer you a fully customize macronutrient target, along with an introductory guide to nutrition, meal planning, postpartum hormones, postpartum recovery and exercise, lactation, supplements, and recipes. Come to our side, we eat all the things!